Exercise and health
Increasing the amount of physical activity you do can make enormous improvements to your health, wellbeing and lifestyle. A physically active lifestyle has been proved to:
- Decrease body fat and body weight
- Increase bone density
- Help lower blood pressure
- Help improve cholesterol levels
- Help stabilise blood sugar levels
- Improve mood
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase energy levels
- Improve mobility
- Lengthen life
Unfortunately modern lifestyles do not encourage an active lifestyle due to increased use of cars, increased use of computers in the workplace and at home, leisure time being spent in front of the television and increasingly busy lives.
- What counts as physical activity?
- Walking to and from work
- Going for a lunchtime swim
- Taking dancing lessons with friends
- Doing housework and gardening more briskly
- A game of tennis or badminton
- Exercise classes
The key to enjoying physical activity is to incorporate fun activities into your everyday life.
If a health professional refers you to Cardiac Rehab we start you exercising in a safe environment. If you enjoy exercising in our gym you can continue to attend for as long as you wish.